Last weekend I wanted something with chocolate in it and, after a brief search on the internet, I found a recipe for a chocolate and pear sponge. I didn’t have all of the ingredients available so I had to customise the recipe slightly but it still tasted amazing.
If you cook it for just the right amount of time this sponge retains a soft centre and is almost like a fondant or brownie. Plus, it lasted me all week and each time I warmed it up it was still soft and almost as good as the day it was made.
A delightful dessert which is definitely a weekend treat!
200g granulated sugar
80g self-raising flour
50g cocoa powder
400g pears, tinned or poached or raw (as long as they are ripe), cut into slices or chunks
100g dark chocolate, broken into rough pieces
- Melt the butter in the microwave.
- Add the sugar and stir till dissolved.
- Whisk the eggs and gradually add them to the butter mixture.
- Stir in the flour and cocoa powder then beat it as hard as you can.
- Pour into a dish or tin.
- Arrange the chopped/sliced/chunky pears on top of the mixture and scatter the broken pieces of chocolate over the pears.
- Bake in the oven at 180 C for 25-30 minutes or until a fork comes out relatively clean.
- Don’t overbake or you’ll lose the gooey-ness!
Tastes amazing served with ice-cream or chocolate custard. Enjoy!