I saw a recipe for Nutella cupcakes in a magazine a few months ago and I fancied trying them; unfortunately, the recipe used oil in the cake mixture which I don’t like doing and so I made these using a basic cake recipe and some slight alterations.
For the cakes:
1 desert spoon of chocolate hazelnut spread
25g cocoa powder
For the filling:
12 teaspoons of chocolate hazelnut spread
Extra bits for decoration
- Cream the butter and sugar.
- Add a spoon of chocolate hazelnut spread and beat till thoroughly combined.
- Add the eggs.
- Add the flour and cocoa powder.
- Share the mixture between 12 cake cases; I used a silicon cake tray but anything will do really.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 180 C or until springy to the touch.
- Leave to cool.
- To decorate, cut out a circle from the centre of each cake; cut the bit you’ve taken out in half, this will form the butterfly wings.
- Fill with a teaspoon of chocolate hazelnut spread and place the cake wings on top.
- Add chocolate chips, sprinkles or any other form of decoration you wish to add.