I fancied making these as I love brownies and I love gingerbread. What could be better than combining in the two products together?
I made this cake for work and it proved to be popular. (I was particularly thankful for this as I had never tried this recipe before and wasn’t totally sure that it would work!)
140g dark chocolate, chopped
90g butter, cubed
65g plain flour
1/4tsp hot chilli powder
Pinch of salt
25g crystallized ginger, chopped
50g white chocolate, chopped
90g dark brown soft sugar
1 and a half tbsps. golden syrup
25g flaked almonds
- Line an 8 inch square baking tin.
- Heat the oven to 180c.
- Melt the butter and chocolate in a bowl set over a pan of gently boiling water.
- Meanwhile, combine the sugar, syrup and eggs in a bowl.
- In another bowl, mix together the flour, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, chilli powder and a pinch of salt.
- Chop up the white chocolate and crystallised ginger.
- Let the melted chocolate mixture cool slightly before adding to the sugar mixture. Stir well.
- Then add the flour mixture to the chocolate concoction. Stir gently before adding the almonds, ginger and chocolate.
- Tip into a lined baking tin and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Decorate with chocolate buttercream and pieces of crystallised ginger and chocolate shavings.
- Or, as I did, use Nutella and silver balls!